Current:Home > ScamsFormer orphanage founder in Haiti faces federal charges of sexually abusing minors -Capitatum
Former orphanage founder in Haiti faces federal charges of sexually abusing minors
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 21:55:31
DENVER (AP) — An orphanage founder in Haiti who faced past accusations of abusing boys in his care is facing criminal charges in the U.S. after an investigation revealed that he traveled to the Caribbean country to sexually abuse minors, federal officials said Tuesday.
Michael Geilenfeld, 71, previously sued a Maine activist over accusations he abused boys in Haiti, calling the claims “vicious, vile lies,” before an investigation by Homeland Security Investigations and the FBI led to an indictment contending he traveled from Miami to the island nation “for the purpose of engaging in any illicit sexual conduct with another person under 18.”
Geilenfeld, who was arrested in Colorado, is expected to have a detention hearing in Denver on Thursday before being flown to Miami, where the case originated, officials said. His Massachusetts lawyer, Robert Oberkoetter, declined to comment.
Geilenfeld and North Carolina-based Hearts with Haiti sued the activist, Paul Kendrick, who accused Geilenfeld of being a serial pedophile after speaking to young men who claimed they were abused by Geilenfeld as boys in Port-au-Prince, where Geilenfeld founded the St. Joseph’s Home for Boys in 1985.
In a federal civil lawsuit in Maine, Geilenfeld and the charity blamed Kendrick for Geilenfeld’s 237-day imprisonment in Haiti, damage to his reputation and the loss of millions of dollars in donations.
The activist’s insurance companies ended the lawsuit in 2019 by paying $3 million to Hearts with Haiti, but nothing to Geilenfeld.
Kendrick had praise Tuesday for those who stood up to the man who held the purse strings to their education, food, shelter and clothing.
“It took an unbelievable amount of courage for them to come forward and report their abuse,” he said.
The conduct cited by the grand jury happened between November 2006 and December 2010, when Geilenfeld was operating the orphanage.
The charge of traveling in foreign commerce for illicit sexual conduct has a maximum sentence of 30 years in prison.
Authorities in Haiti have long investigated sex abuse allegations against Geilenfeld, who was arrested in the Caribbean country in September 2014 but released a year later after his case was dismissed.
The alleged victims, who did not appear in court in Haiti, were granted an appeal, but the case has yet to go to trial as Haiti’s judicial system continues to crumble amid widespread corruption and a spike in gang violence.
veryGood! (27)
Related
- Residents in Alaska capital clean up swamped homes after an ice dam burst and unleashed a flood
- How Travis Barker’s Daughter Alabama Barker Gets Her Lip Filler to Look Natural
- 2 women charged after operating unlicensed cosmetic surgery recovery house in Miami
- The family of a 24-year-old killed by Hamas at the Supernova music festival asked for 10 strangers to attend her funeral. Thousands showed up.
- Vance jokes he’s checking out his future VP plane while overlapping with Harris at Wisconsin airport
- Factory fishing in Antarctica for krill targets the cornerstone of a fragile ecosystem
- Rudolph Isley, a founding member of the Isley Brothers, has died at 84
- How years of war, rise in terrorism led to the current Israel-Hamas conflict: Experts
- Rylee Arnold Shares a Long
- Climate change raises concerns for future of marathons and runner safety: Analysis
Ranking
- Olympic disqualification of gold medal hopeful exposes 'dark side' of women's wrestling
- Arkansas Supreme Court upholds procedural vote on governor’s education overhaul
- What is Friday the 13th? Why people may be superstitious about the day
- El Niño is going to continue through spring 2024, forecasters predict
- Are Instagram, Facebook and WhatsApp down? Meta says most issues resolved after outages
- AP Week in Pictures: Global | Oct. 6 - 12, 2023
- How a newly single mama bear was able to eat enough to win Fat Bear Week
- California considers stepping in to manage groundwater basin in farm country
Recommendation
Oklahoma parole board recommends governor spare the life of man on death row
GOP Rep. Mike Lawler won't support Scalise and thinks McCarthy may yet return as speaker candidate — The Takeout
Vermont police get more than 150 tips after sketch of person of interest released in trail killing
5 Things podcast: Death tolls rise in Israel and Gaza, online hate, nomination for Speaker
Retirement planning: 3 crucial moves everyone should make before 2025
An Israeli team begins a tour against NBA teams, believing games provide hope during a war at home
California considers stepping in to manage groundwater basin in farm country
New study: Disability and income prevent Black Americans from aging at home